TJX In-Store Privacy Notice
Effective Date: November 2022
This TJX In-Store Privacy Notice (this “Notice”) for the various divisions of The TJX Companies, Inc. (“TJX”) such as Marshalls, T.J. Maxx, HomeGoods, Homesense, Sierra, and other affiliates (collectively, the “TJX Businesses”, “we”, “us”, or “our”) pertains to personal information collected offline via the TJX Businesses for non-HR purposes. We provide separate notice for HR purposes to our personnel or applicants at the time of collection. We use the words “you” and “your” in this Notice to mean you, the reader, and other visitors to our stores, offices and other locations, and any other individuals who otherwise interact with us in person.
Portions of this Notice are provided in part to satisfy our obligations under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”).
Those portions of this Notice apply solely to California residents who have certain rights under the CCPA.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you interact with us in person, we may collect the following categories of personal information or sensitive personal information:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, social security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.
- Personal Information identified under the California Customer Records law such as name, signature, social security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education or employment history, credit card number, debit card number, bank account number and other financial information, medical information or health insurance information.
- Protected classifications under California or federal law such as age, sex, gender, gender identity, and military and veteran status.
- Commercial information, including records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information such as images, audio or video recorded via CCTV or other photographic/recording devices.
- Inferences drawn from any of the information identified above to create a profile about you reflecting your preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
- Personal information that reveals a consumer’s precise geolocation.
- Personal information that reveals a consumer’s racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, or union membership.
- Personal information collected and analyzed concerning a consumer’s health.
- Personal information collected and analyzed concerning a consumer’s sex life or sexual orientation.
HOW WE MAY USE YOUR INFORMATION
When we collect your information, we may use it for a number of purposes, including to:
- process, manage, complete and account for transactions, including purchases and refund, exchange and layaway requests;
- provide our products and services to you and fulfill your orders;
- identify your product and service preferences;
- improve merchandise selections and customer service;
- invite you to participate in customer research;
- notify you about new products, services, features, promotions, events and special offerings relating to the TJX Businesses we think you will find valuable;
- provide customer support, diagnose technical and service problems, and respond to your requests, comments and inquiries;
- enroll you in, and administer, our loyalty and other rewards programs upon your request;
- administer your participation in promotions, contests and sweepstakes;
- verify your identity in certain instances (such as when you pay by check, return merchandise, or request a refund);
- secure our operations and protect against, identify and help prevent crime, fraud, unauthorized activity, claims and other liabilities and minimize credit risk;
- protecting the safety and well-being of our associates, customers, and others who interact with us;
- operate/manage, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services, measuring and managing our communications and the advertising effectiveness of our online and offline advertisements and events, performing market research, and administering and securing our websites and mobile apps such as by customizing users’ visits to our websites or experience in a mobile app, delivering content [including advertising] tailored to users’ interests and the manner in which users browse or interact with us).
We also may use the information in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
In order for us to maintain the accuracy of your personal information and improve our communication with you, we may also supplement the information we collect with other public demographic information.
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION
- Directly from you such as when you fill out a form, type information into a kiosk, or speak with a TJX associate.
- Via technology deployed at our stores. Depending on the store you visit, this technology may include CCTV cameras or body worn cameras that are used for the safety and protection of our associates and customers, to secure our products and premises, and deter and prevent crime, fraud, and other illegal activities.
HOW LONG WE RETAIN YOUR INFORMATION
We will store and retain your personal information in accordance with applicable law and as long as necessary to carry out the purposes described in this statement in accordance with our internal data retention procedures. The criteria used to determine the retention periods include:
- how long the personal information is needed in connection with the applicable purposes for which we use it;
- the type of personal information collected; and
- whether we are subject to a legal, contractual or similar obligation to retain the personal information (e.g., mandatory data retention laws, government orders to preserve personal information relevant to an investigation, or personal information that must be retained for the purposes of litigation or disputes).
If you have questions regarding this Notice or our privacy practices you may do so by contacting us using one of the methods specified on the How To Contact Us page of the website of the TJX Business you have interacted with:
VIEW OUR PRIVACY STATEMENTS
Please click on the name of the specific TJX Business to view its Privacy Statement and learn more about our privacy practices:
Your California Privacy Rights
This section supplements the TJX In-Store Privacy Notice and applies solely to residents of California who visit our stores or other locations and have certain rights under the CCPA.
Selling and Sharing Personal Information
We do not share any categories of personal information or sensitive personal information identified above, and we only sell the following categories of personal information:
- Identifiers (in the form of your email address for cross-brand marketing)
We do not sell any other other categories of personal information or sensitive personal information.
Opting out of the sale of your personal information
If wish to exercise your rights under the CCPA, including your right to opt out of the sale of your personal information, you may do so by contacting us using one of the methods specified on the How To Contact Us page of the website of the TJX Business you have interacted with and submitting a verifiable request.
To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we take steps to verify your identity before granting you, or a third party acting on your behalf, access to your personal information or complying with your request. If someone is making a request on your behalf, we require proof of authorization as part of our identity verification process. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may charge a reasonable fee to comply with your request.